Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Palm Pilot Geek Love

Despite having worked in IT for ten years now I have never owned a PDA. I'm not a big fan of the shorthand type of writing needed for many of the previous models of Palm Pilot and I just never saw a need to have one.

Then I got ahold of one a couple months ago.

Because our execs always have to have the latest and greatest, we had shelves of older PDAs just sitting around. When I say "older" I'm speaking in terms of months, not years. We literally have a shelf full of Palm Tungsten C's just sitting there unused thanks to the latest Treo model. So I figured what the heck...I'll ask if I can use one. I could keep it synched with my work calendar and that way I'd always know what meetings I had coming up the next day. Whatever...the excuse was enough since it wasn't gonna cost anything to give me one.

What I like about the Tungsten C is that it has a mini keyboard on it. I don't have to rely on scratching out shorthand with a stylus in order to do anything. It also has built-in 802.11b wireless, so I can connect to our local network and actually check email. The screen is nice and bright, and it's easy to read. In fact, reading is what I've been using it for a lot lately.

While I was out looking for nifty things to put on the PDA, I started looking for eBooks. I was amazed at how many free books there are out there. Eventually I made my way to MemoWare.com, which has a HUGE selection of free eBooks in numerous formats. When all was said and done, I downloaded over 250 eBooks just from the Religion section. I now have large collections of works from Spurgeon, Edwards, Owen, Piper, Knox, Pink, Calvin's Institutes and Commentaries, Henry's Commentaries....probably more than I'll ever be able to read. I just finished John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, a classic book I've been meaning to read for a long time but never got around to picking up. I also have some non-Christian literary classics waiting to be read, including Frankenstein, The Brothers Karamazov, Jane Eyre and Crime & Punishment (both of which I read in high school and enjoyed), and Paradise Lost. I also downloaded the 2006 NFL Schedule, and I've transferred the charts for several barbershop tags as well.

So after years of avoidance I finally have a PDA...and I'm loving every minute of it!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home